Lemon water in the morning and why:
Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning has been part of my morning ritual for so long now, that it’s hard for me to remember a part of my life when I didn’t do this. But why did I start and what are the health benefits associated with this ritual?
Here are 5 solid reasons you should start your morning with warm lemon water!
- Vitamin C: Lemons contain a pretty decent amount of vitamin C in them which helps to improve our immune function. Starting your morning with some extra vitamin C first thing can also help with the normal functioning of your adrenal glands. Your adrenals contain the highest concentration of vitamin C in the body and the adrenals are what help your body adapt and deal with stress. There is no better way to start your morning than with a little less stress and anxiety, agreed?
- Maintain hydrated throughout the day: Starting your day with lemon water or really just water by itself is a great option to help keep you hydrated. This is especially important if you drink a lot of coffee or tea which actually dehydrates you. Also, I find that since starting my mornings with warm lemon water, I don’t need caffeine first thing as I feel more energized without it. Drinking water first thing in the morning may also help with digestion as well, lemons or not.
- Its alkalinizing in your body: Although lemons are acidic, when you ingest the lemon juice it is actually alkalinizing in your body. By creating a more alkaline environment rather than acidic, you can help reduce such things as inflammation and possibly even disease. Because so much of what we eat tends to be acidic rather than alkaline, this provides a great opportunity to change that.
- Mini detox for your liver: Due to the amount of vitamin C along with the other antioxidants in lemons, this can help provide your body with a mini-cleanse or detox every morning. Our liver is one of the most overburdened organs trying to constantly flush out the bad stuff we are consuming. The lemon juice can stimulate your liver and help flush out toxins, which is sort of a mini-cleanse every morning!
- Gorgeous and glowing skin: As if you needed another reason to want to drink this stuff, it also can help improve your skin health. The antioxidants in lemons can help with wrinkles, again thanks to the vitamin C content and the role this plays in collagen formation. Because the lemon juice is also detoxifying inside your body, this also will help with your skin’s appearance as well, as what is happening inside is often more important for skin health than any amount of make-up or products you use.
Well there you have it, those are my top five reasons to start your morning with warm lemon water, happy sipping!
Note: when I say warm lemon water, I simply mean room temperature. This is important as you want to gently wake up the body not blast it with cold water. Think of a warm shower first thing vs. a cold shower, it’s the same for your insides too!