I must admit I can be kind of high maintenance when it comes to my skincare routine, although I don’t think I should take all the blame for this, its how I was raised. I can remember as far back as elementary school and my mom (who was super low maintenance, but realllyyyy into skincare) used to buy all kinds of different products and I would gladly allow her to spoil me with her gifts. Back in grade 8-9, I was consumed with face masks and loved trying new products more so than a typical girl at that age. I loved it though, the smells, the textures and just spending time with my mom and girlfriends doing these sorts of things was A LOT of fun, this was pre-internet days (the horror!). Anyways, although I was and can be high maintenance when it comes to my skincare routine (I never go to bed with makeup on), I was somehow too lazy to ever use the double cleanse method. It just sounded like too much work, until recently when I decided to give it a try after learning how important cleansing was during a Tata Harper training session at The Detox Market.
Not sure how I missed this before, I mean if you think about it, cleansing the skin is probably THE MOST important step in your skincare and beauty routine. It preps the skin for whatever else you are going to put on it and if your skin is not clean, then guess what, your expensive creams and serums aren’t going to work so effectively. It was one of those A-HA moments we all have from time to time, except this one was so simple, I actually can’t believe I didn’t think about it before. Alas, here is my review on how double cleansing works, why it works and how it can work for you (even if you are the lazy girl who just cant imagine washing her face twice), plus some products that I have found to be quite effective.
Why Cleansing Matters?
Ensuring that you have really cleansed your skin is so important! Think of all the stuff on your skin throughout the day, sunscreen, makeup, plus all the pollutants that are sitting in and on your skin that you don’t even know are there. Simply washing your face with just water or soap isn’t getting all of that off and your other skincare products if you use any wont be as effective as they could be if it is going on top of skin that hasn’t been cleansed thoroughly and correctly. This can cause a build up of dirt and dead skin that makes your skin look dull and washed out. So if you really want that glowing skin that is clean and ready to absorb all the other goodness you are putting on, you must ensure that you have properly cleansed your skin. Last, studies have shown that women who ensure their skin is cleansed properly have reported seeing better results from their anti-aging products than those who didn’t. Conventional eye makeup removers can contain harsh ingredients that may work to take off your makeup but they aren’t doing anything for your skin or your under eye area, which is the most sensitive area on your face. This is especially true if you are using wipes that contain alcohol as they are extremely drying on your skin.
How Double Cleansing Works?
Double cleansing works by using both an oil based product to massage the skin and remove oil-based dirt (such as oil in makeup) and then following that with a cream based cleanser to remove water-based dirt like sweat. Lets go back to some high school science for a minute here to help us understand how this works. Water and oil don’t mix because of their differing properties so it is best to use an oil-based cleanser first because oil dissolves oil, just as we learned in chemistry class, “like dissolves like” the same holds true for cleansing. Beneficial plant oils cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, without stripping the skin. A gentle foaming cleanser or cream cleanser will then remove any remaining residue (the water-based dirt) left on the skin and deeply purify the skin as well as help moisturize the skin.
This isn’t a new phenomenon either, this has been used in Japan, Korea and China since about the 14th century. Historical texts reveal that Korean women used plant based oils in both makeup application and to help remove makeup followed up by rice water or ground mung beans which were then applied to get rid of any further impurities. In Japan, double cleansing was necessary to remove the white paint-like makeup base on their skin and then to refresh the skin.
How to Double Cleanse the Skin?
So how do you double cleanse effectively? Is their a special technique to it? I am not sure if their is a special technique to it, but this is what I have found works best.
Step One: Apply the oil based cleanser first on to dry skin. Using circular motions, you want to be gentle with your fingers to massage the oil onto your skin using dry hands. Do this for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, making sure that you are gentle with your skin, this should feel like a nice face massage.
Step Two: Using a clean face cloth or muslin cloth, run it under warm to hot water. You don’t want it to be scalding hot, but want it more than lukewarm. Use this face cloth or muslin cloth to remove the oils from your skin. You can also use slightly hotter water on your cloth, wringing it out and then placing it on your face to create a steaming sensation and then remove after leaving it on for 15-20 seconds. Just be sure to use the cloth to actually remove the oils from your skin. Again, be gentle when you are doing this and not just scrubbing your face with the cloth. There is no need to dry your skin because you are just going to cleanse it again.
Step Three: Use your cleanser (cream or gentle foaming) to wash your face just as you normally would wash your face. Work it into your skin and then remove with warm water.
Step Four: Gently pat your skin dry with a clean towel and admire your radiantly clean and glowing skin. Always remember to be gentle when you are drying your skin, never use a towel to scrub your skin dry.
Step Five: Follow up with your normal PM routine, toner, serums, creams etc.
There you have it, this new routine takes all of 1-2 minutes more and can do wonders for your skin! I was a big skeptic and a little bit lazy to do the work, but I have seen the results this has had on my skin and so now I am convinced. Of course, there will still be the odd time that I am just too tired to do it and for that I will probably just rely on cleansing once, but that wont be my regular routine anymore.
Favourite Products for Double Cleansing:
I always recommend using natural and organic products on your skin and that goes for cleansing especially. You don’t want to use products that are harsh, change the pH of your skin or leave your skin dry or dull looking, you want to refresh your skin and give it that deep clean that it needs. So without further ado, here are my top picks!
Oil Cleansing Products:
- Province Apothecary, Moisturizing Cleanser + Makeup Remover: Made with avocado and raspberry oil, this is great for all skin types. This product removes makeup and excess oils and will not destroy the pH of your skin. The essential oil blend helps to calm the skin, reduce stress and relax your parasympathetic nervous system. I love this cleanser because it is a good price, works amazingly well and is made right here in Toronto. It works to take off makeup like a champion and leaves your skin looking and feeling soft.
- Josh Rosebrook, Herbal Infusion Oil: Josh Rosebrook knows his herbs y’all! I don’t know why I said y’all as I am from Toronto, but anywho, he really does, which is why his products are so amazing and unique. This is another great oil cleanser that works beautifully to take off makeup and clear away dirt and toxins and then balance the skin leaving it firmer and brighter looking. Again, this is for all skin types.
- Tata Harper, Nourishing Oil Cleanser: This is a gentle formula that really goes to work to cleanse the skin, dissolve makeup and other daily impurities from your pores all while leaving your skins moisture barrier intact. With vitamins A, C, E and Omega 3, this helps to soften the texture of your skin and keep it looking youthful and radiant. This cleanser is ideal for those with dry skin types.
Cream Cleansers/Foaming Cleansers:
- Odacite, Rejuvenating Cleanser: Made with organic plants extracts, fresh aloe and cold pressed oils and floral water help to make for a gentle, creamy cleanser. Because of the aloe, this also helps to heal the skin and soothe the skin as well. Although it is gentle, it really does go to work to clean your skin, removing impurities without disturbing the skins delicate moisture balance, i.e. it wont dry your skin out one bit! This works wonderfully for those with normal to dry skin. Fun tip: keep it in the fridge in the summer as it will feel cool on your skin!
- Gentle Cream Cleanser, MV Skincare: This cream cleanser is ideal for those with more sensitive skin and those with rosacea. It gently but effectively removes makeup without stripping the skin and disrupting the pH of the skin. It works really well on congested skin to ensure that makeup is removed and your skin is left clean and clear. It also doesn’t hurt that this line is beloved in Australia and all over the world by many celebs either, just saying!
- Moisturizing Cleanser, Josh Rosebrook: One of my absolute favourite cleansers right now is this one! It is gentle but effective at taking off makeup and it just leaves your skin looking better than before. You don’t need very much of this, so a little does go a long way which helps with the price tag. Since using this, my skin feels and looks softer and more plump, I am obsessed with this formula and how moisturized my skin feels afterwards.
- Cleanser Concentrate, KYPRIS Beauty: This is a perfect cleanser for the double cleanse method as it leaves your skin smooth, fresh and clean! Made with moringa, prickly pear and probiotics it helps to dissolve the day away but is not stripping your skin or dehydrating your skin.
Well I sure do hope that I convinced you how important cleansing is and why it may be even more beneficial to use the double cleansing method! All I know is that I have convinced myself and am loving the results that I am seeing.
Do you double cleanse? If so, let me know what products you use and love.
On my blog I do share affiliate links, however, I will never use an affiliate program unless I truly love the brand. I can never be paid for a positive review and do not collect a commission on any item I do not whole-heartedly love and support.
Code HOLISTICFOODIE10 will save you money at the Detox Market Canada website!
Note: This code DOES NOT apply to sale section, product bundles such as the latest Detox Your Beauty Box, gift cards and all May Lindstrom, Kypris Beauty and Vintner’s Daughter products.